Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Painting Residency on Great Cranberry Island


Poster for our slide talks during the first week of the residency

I spent the month of September on Great Cranberry Island as a resident at the Heliker-LaHotan Foundation. John Heliker and Robert LaHotan lived and painted on the island during the latter part of the 20th Century and left their home and studios, located on The Pool, as a place for artists to live and work every summer.
The La-Hotan Studio

I shared a house with two other artists, painted in the La-Hotan Studio, and rode a bike (for the first time in years) to explore the numerous beaches and sites on the two and a half mile island off the coast of Mount Desert Island.  Every day, the entire day was mine for exploring, selecting, and responding. This freedom imposed the burden to choose well and to focus on ideas that would lead to compelling work. As the three of us sat at breakfast each morning, we enjoyed the calm of each other’s company until the decision had to be made – how to use this day?

After initial exploration, I settled into favorite spots. Long Point on the north side of the island provided views of Acadia to the north and The Pool to the south.


Painting in progress on the north beach.


Painting in progress at Long Point


September Light, Toward Fish Point, 16x20, oil


Fish Point from the Shore at Long Point, 24x24, oil on canvas, 2016


The Big View at the south end of the island looked across fields and multiple bodies of water toward Acadia National Park. It's a popular painting spot, and I had to take my turn. 

Painting in progress

24x30, oil on canvas

I loved the beach at Birlem Cove on the Back Shore, with its chaotic combination of jagged basalt and smooth, rounded pink granite boulders. 


Back Shore beach

The Beach at Birlem Cove, 11x14, graphite


 Drawings and paintings of the Back Shore and other sites


Painting in progress on the Back Shore

I also worked from the comfort of my studio, where there was always something dynamic going on with shifting light and tide outside my windows or along the beach out front.

The Pool from the LaHotan Studio

Unsettled, 11x14, oil on paper


Painting fog from the studio

Breaking Through, 12x12, oil on canvas, 2016


Morning Fog, 11x14, oil on canvas


Shore Along the Pool, 24x24, oil, 2016

Open Studio on the last day of the residency

The light of this visually rich environment was varied and magical, providing continuous presence of painting possibilities. I began a series of paintings, a response to the shifting light and color that surrounded me, and completed more than thirty-five drawings, a short-hand gestural record of my daily explorations. Now, in my studio at home, I observe the paintings again, seeing them on their own, disassociated from the place I observed and enjoyed. Some require revision. I make decisions and resolve not to overwork, and to retain the visual concepts and sense of place that prompted them. 

I feel tremendous gratitude to the Heliker-LaHotan Foundation for this gift of time and place.

Sunrise on The Pool at the end of The Lane, the road where I lived for the month. 





2 comments:

  1. Nina, I am so inspired by your work. What an experience to be able to live there for a month and to paint to your heart's content! You certainly did a lot of work for the open studio show at the end. This has also encouraged me to get back to some drawing again. Seems that I paint but don't seem to find time to just draw. Your marks on paper ado stand on their own just as you said. I enjoyed seeing your easel with the painting in the setting where you worked. Also, the view out the window in the fog and the painting of it nearby. Love the gesture of the brushstrokes, the luscious color, and your compositions. Makes me want to leave California and move back to Maine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. Having an entire month in one place gave me the time to draw, and once I started, I liked it more and more. I have enjoyed residencies now that I have more free time - spent a month in Virginia in April - very different landscape work resulted. Come visit Maine!

      Delete