Friday, August 26, 2016

Addison Summer

There is something about living in Addison, waking up and going to sleep surrounded by woods, water, and light that prompts me to work differently from my usual studio practice. While living in nature, I respond directly to what I see on a daily basis, challenged to select slices of the most compelling moments. In making those mysterious, creative decisions I know that the more intuitive, and less rational I am when making choices, the more engaged I will be with the process. I react and try not to direct, and consider each painting an exercise in seeing, recording, and marking my path through these warmer months.

In summer, combine en plein air practice with studio painting. Although small painting studies may be completed in one outside excursion, larger ones require either a return to the spot, or a more considered approach in the studio. Small paint sketches often provide resources for larger paintings.

Addison painting is coming to an end as I prepare for my month-long residency at the Heliker-Lahotan Foundation on Great Cranberry Island in September.

A selection of paintings from Summer 2016.

Lagoon at Loon Point, oil, 16x20

 Loon Point Lagoon Study, 2, acrylic on panel, 8x10

Loon Point Lagoon Study, 1, acrylic on paper



Sheep Island at Noon, acrylic and oil, 8x10

 Cape Split Meadow, oil, 11x14


Basin Morning, acrylic, 12x12



Wahoa Bay, Sawyer and Goose, acrylic, 12x12



Fourth of July Morning, acrylic and oil, 16x20



 Bickford Point Daisies, acrylic on panel, 8x10


Unsettled June, Bickford Point, acrylic, 11x14



No comments:

Post a Comment