Friday, May 10, 2019

Patterns of Virginia Spring

Virginia has a long, unwinding, layered spring, which I observed for the month of April as a fellow at VCCA in Amherst.  I was interested in working with multiples of new vine structures. Before foliage grew, the twisted vines were exposed, providing screens to the landscape beyond. I walked, photographed, drew, and selected compositions for paintings. I was thinking about sequence, opposition, complement, continuity as the images developed.


Honeysuckle Screen, 11x14, gouache



Vine studies, 9x9, charcoal


Drawing studies, many done with non-dominant hand, charcoal



 
Grid of Spring Vines, 24x36, acrylic on panel



VCCA Visual Artists Studio


Morning Light on Spring Vines, acrylic on panel, 16x16


Morning Light on Spring Vines 3, acrylic on panel, 16x16

Morning Light on Spring Vines 2, 16x16, acrylic on panel



Morning Light on Spring Vines 4, 30x24, oil on linen


When the foliage emerged, I walked through the woods and bathed in the light and color of fresh spring. As always, I am grateful to the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts for providing me with space, time, and support to do this work. 



Woods Walk, each 12x12, acrylic on panel


No comments:

Post a Comment