Thursday, March 17, 2016

Drawing in the Desert

Via Raposa toward the Catalinas - March 15
Conte crayon

During my two week stay in Tucson I drew on an almost daily basis. In March the Sonoran Desert is green with abundant vegetation of varied shapes and textures. The sun-drenched landscape contrasts greatly to that of Maine and loses most of its shadows by mid morning. To my eye variations of light on mountains assume the role in the Arizona landscape that light on the sea takes on in Maine, and whereas Maine feels weighty and bold, the desert feels airy, delicate, and textural. I drew to see and to learn about these differences.

Saguaro National Park East

Santa Catalina Mountains

As I worked, the space I saw prompted changes in process. I began with familiar materials, toned page and charcoal, but gradually adapted to the landscape, shifting from dense areas of dark to more minimal marks.

March 5, 2016


March 7, 2016

Light areas seemed to dominate and description of space required fewer, less dense marks.



Via Raposa and Wasson Peak - March 14
Water soluble graphite


A piece of conte crayon taped to a stick, held at a distance from the paper insured less control and looser marks. 


Backyard Garden - March 12

Morning View Toward Tucson and the Santa Rita Mountains - March 15
Water soluble pencil - line and value. 

2 comments:

  1. A different world, I look forward to your response to that world in your next step whatever that is...I really like Via Raposa and Wasson Peak. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a different world - so unfamiliar. I don't think that I will go further with these as in develop paintings. They were part of a process to see the environment, and to make marks to express it.

      Delete